Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Chi-Town

We spent last week in Chicagoland, visiting my family and going to Lollapalooza in Grant Park (downtown Chicago). The first few days of our visit were spent catching up with my folks, my grandma and my brother DJ's family. Then over the next few days, Gavin enjoyed some good bonding time with his Nana & Papa while Brandon & I enjoyed three festivalicious days of live music and semi-extreme weather; cool and rainy the first day and HOT and humid the second and third days. My brother Dave and his wife Missy joined us, so Gavin also got to hang out with his 1-year-old cousin Evelyn. We took the train from Naperville into Chicago and back each day, and joined forces with the The Frantzes for maximum musical enjoyment. Jonathan, Susan and Henry made the trip from Toledo to Chicago in a double-decker 'megabus' and stayed in a hotel not far from Grant Park. So many bands (over 130) and so many people (I'm not sure how many but I heard at one point it was the biggest festival ever and there were over 150,000 people there at any given time). The best performance, hands down, was the last one on the last day: Jane's Addiction. I liked Jane's a lot before, but I have a whole new respect and reverence for them now. Perry and the boys are nothing short of electrifying. Not bad fora bunch of old farts. All-in-all it was an exhausting but funtastic vacation. Let's do it again next year!

1 comment:

Rice-Ball said...

Looks like you guys had tons of fun! How did the little ones get along? Did you get to see of the bands you wanted to, even though some were playing at the same time on different stages? Hope all is well neighbors, miss you guys, we need to hang out!